The first graders made these clay self-portraits earlier this year. They were fun to make, required a single firing, and surely will be treasured by the students and their parents for years to com.
- marker or glue stick caps
- dull pencils
- 알파벳 파스타 (available in the Hispanic foods section of Walmart, and through Amazon)
- wagon wheel pasta
- bow-tie pasta
- ramen or egg noodles
- 선택: date stamps
- 온도 케이크 (including peach)
- Crayola multicultural paint
- 선택: ceramic spray gloss
나는를 사용 멀티 석판 절단기 to easily cut the clay block into identical clay tiles.
Making the face:
Students first used a dull pencil to draw the face, nose, 미소, and neck. We stamped eyes with the glue stick caps. Then we added wagon wheel pasta for eyes. Curly-haired students pressed in Chinese egg noodles for hair; kids with straight hair pressed in broken lengths of spaghetti. Some kids added bow tie pasta.
Next I passed out plates of alphabet pasta. The kids spelled out their names and pressed the letters into the clay.
최종적으로, I added the date with an old-school rubber date stamp from an office supply store.
Allow clay to dry, 다음 비스크 화재.
주의: we did not remove ANY of the pasta before firing – we just let it burn out in the kiln.
Painting the clay:
비스크 연소 후, we painted them with tempera cakes. For the skin tones, I offered multicultural tempera as well as peach tempera cake. The first graders painted their faces in a snap.
몇 분 이내, the tempera settled into the porous bisque. Then the kids added mouths with crayon (or construction paper crayon). Some kids used crayon for the eye color and even for make up.
As a last step, I sprayed the clay portraits with glossy ceramic sealer.
살고 배우 – here’s what I found out:
- don’t press to hard with the pencil when drawing the portraits. Some students cut right through the slab (but came away with nice face-shaped clay portraits!)
- the pasta may attract rodents.
- egg pasta leaves a yellow tint on the clay even after firing.
- don’t press extremely hard with the wagon wheel pasta. If you do, the fired clay eyes will end up as a shallow well.
For more examples and ideas, 참조 this post on last year’s clay self-portraits.